Is Teaching What I Thought It Would Be?
Is Teaching What I Thought It Would Be?
Brianna Baxter
My idea of teaching
changed when I began my position as an inclusion aide. Many people, including
myself before I entered the field, assume that teaching is simply educating.
Before entering the field, I had the assumption that teaching is just about
educating children about the knowledge and skills they need to know and
assessing that knowledge.
One of the many job
requirements of an educator is to teach children knowledge and skills. I truly
enjoy teaching objectives and the wonders of the world. However, I want
children to believe that they are the wonders of the world. I want every single
student to believe that they are powerful. Empowering children to own their
knowledge gained and to appreciate the value of obtaining knowledge is a
critical goal of mine.
I want students to be
engaged with the content they are learning; engaged students are happy to be
learning, and teachers who teach engaging content are happy to be teaching. I
knew that I would love the act of teaching before I actually taught, but I did
not know that I would love teaching for the opportunity to empower children to
be leaders, no matter how young they are.
Comments
Post a Comment